Search This Blog

Saturday, November 5, 2011

7 Billion People

So 30 October marked the birth of the 7 billionth person on Earth.  Regardless of where this person was born, I think we can all agree that seven billion is remarkable.  It's hard to believe that only a few hundred years ago, the Black Plague wiped out a third of the European population, reducing the worlds population to roughly 375 million people.  I realize that seems a little random, but for the population to increase by 325, 000, 000 in only a couple hundred years amazes me beyond belief.

More to the point, with the Earth's population expanding so rapidly, it becomes increasingly clear that our way of life is unsustainable.  I found this awesome infographic by PETA this morning, which astounded me.


Isn't that amazing?  It makes me wonder what the change in impact is if one simply goes vegetarian instead of full on vegan.  For the most part, I've made a few painless switches- soy milk instead of regular milk, and trying egg swaps in my baked goods (which never turn out right, sadly enough), but my few attempts at going full-on vegan have been less than successful (my current record being a day and a half before succumbing to a Subway veggie delight with extra cheese).

Even though I'm not a vegan, I try to make sure my animal-related foods are harvested as painlessly as possible.  My family has stopped buying eggs, and instead purchases them for a dollar a dozen from a coworker of my fathers.  The chickens roam free and are housed and fed in sanitary conditions.  I've also noticed a distinct difference in the taste of fresh eggs from happy chickens, and the older eggs from the grocery store.

Things like this really make me think though.

Infographic comes from: www.peta.org/features/feeding-the-future-infographic.aspx

How about you?  Are you vegetarian/vegan?  If not, how do you feel our current way of life?  Let me know!

Until Next Time,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to all my lovely comments. Leave a link to your blog so I can come visit! Thank you<3